The Truth About Iodine
Ø 70-80% of people are deficient in this crucial element!
Ø 96% of patients present with iodine deficiency!
Ø Misinformation, dietary deficiencies and ‘iodophobia’ have contributed to a range of associated symptoms and disease syndromes.
Ø Iodine remains the safest of the essential elements to man even at doses of 100,000x RDA!
Symptoms of deficiency:
• cold hands and feet, cold intolerance
• dry skin, brittle nails
• hair loss
• mental dullness, difficulty in concentrating, poor memory
• Depression, irritability, anxiety
• fatigue, low energy
• muscle cramps and muscle pains, muscle weakness
• elevated cholesterol and high (or low) blood pressure
• Chronic headaches
• constipation, haemorrhoids
• menstrual irregularities, menopausal issues
• puffy eyes, eyelid swelling
• throat pain, difficulty swallowing, hoarseness
• weight gain
Diseases related to Iodine deficiency:
Ø fibrocystic breast disease
With high requirements in the glandular tissues of the body, iodine deficiency is strongly linked to cancers of the breast, prostate, thyroid, uterus, ovaries and testes.
Ø Autoimmune thyroid diseases (Grave’s Disease and Hashimoto’s)
Ø Heart Disease
Ø Chronic fatigue, MS
[Iodine should be a] ‘Mainstay in treating breast cancer, fibrocystic breasts and ovarian cysts’
Dr David Brownstein
NB note: The RDA of iodine of 150micrograms is significantly inadequate according to Dr Guy Abraham (renowned expert on iodine) which has contributed to many of the above disease syndromes.
Actual daily requirement of iodine: 12-50mg/day (please speak to an iodine proficient practitioner to help you to attain the correct dosage for you)
Your initial iodine level can be determined most accurately by requesting a 24hr loading test (urine is used).